We rarely have leftovers when I make this dish. There is cheese, yogurt and vegetarian bacon to give this dish crunch with a cheese essence. I double the mushrooms as I love them. I take this to potlucks and it goes quick.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Yields: 6 large servings, 10 medium servings
- 1 medium head cauliflower (~ 6 inches diameter) cut into small florets (let sit 10 minutes)
- 3 large or 5 medium garlic cloves minced (let sit 10 minutes)
- 8+ oz fresh white button mushrooms sliced (I love mushrooms so I use 16 oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 slices microwaved and crumbled striplets (vegetarian bacon found in frozen food section made by Mornings Star. Find a store near you
- 1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups shredded low-fat cheese (cheddar or part-skim mozzarella)
- 6 tablespoons (1.4 cup + 2 tablespoons) green onions thinly sliced including the green parts
1. Preheat over to 375’F.
2. Mince garlic cloves and cut up cauliflower into florets first. This allows them time to sit for 10 minutes.
3. Sauté the mushrooms over medium heat with the olive oil. Set aside.
4. Steam cauliflower florets in large covered pot in 1 inch water. Cook until fork-tender done (not mushy but fully cooked). Drain the water and mix in mushrooms. I use the pan I steamed the cauliflower in.
5. Combine the garlic, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and half of the striplets, half the cheese, plus half the green onions. Stir into drained cauliflower mixture. Spread evenly into 13x9 glass pan. Sprinkle over top with remaining striplets, cheese, and green onions.
6. Bake 10 minutes